Tuesday, January 8, 2008

So... You Would Like Me to Identify Your Glass?

I get many requests to identify glass for people. This is flattering of course, but I am hardly an expert. Of course, the definition of "an expert" is someone who knows more than you do. So by that very generous definition, maybe I am!

Anyway, I will always try to help someone if I can. If the person asks nicely, I will gladly look at a clear photograph and do my best. What I will not do is first identify it, then provide a valuation and then agree to buy it. I may offer a range of book value, with the caveats that pricing depends on condition and that actual values vary and so on. And I may in rare instances offer to buy.

It is unethical to first offer a valuation and then offer to buy. I won't do it. And I am not a qualified appraiser; I only know what my books suggest and what I see items sell at online auction.

If you want me to help you, here's what to do.
1. Ask.
2. Take one very good picture, ideally of the pattern.
3. Send it.
4. Say "please" and "thank you".

If I cannot identify it or you don't agree, please don't argue. I did my best.

No comments: