Sunday, November 18, 2007

Heisey Recessed Panel Candy Jar Etched with Wheeling's Pheasant and Stump

This gorgeous candy jar with lid is from Heisey Glass and it has the Pheasant and Stump etch with gold and cobalt blue. The candy jar is Recessed Panel which was made with a smooth band near the top. Wheeling Decorating Company would have etched the design on the broad band that is perfect for decorating. This is most unusual; I couldn't find any similar glass.

This was a common shape for candy jars during the depression era and most glass companies made something similar. The sizes were based on the weight of candy one would hold, so this jar, which is a little over 10 inches tall with the lid on, was a one pound candy jar.

I listed this today in my TIAS store, Cat Lady Kate's Elegant and Depression Glass and it is starting on auction tomorrow night on eBay. This is one of those pieces that I have mixed feelings about selling. I sell glass because it gives me an opportunity to see and hold and enjoy a lot of different pieces, but each one moves on to a new owner. I want to keep the most beautiful ones for me!

No comments: